Italian Hidden Gems
6 of the Best Italian Hidden Gem Reds
6 of the best hidden gems of Southern Italy - a selection of native grape varieties you may not have heard of but are simply delicious and are truly evocative of where they come from.
- Sangiovese di Toscana, Caparzo, Tuscany, Italy. £10.99 Made by a lady Brunello producer. Elegant ripe morello cherry fruit, will impress at a dinner party.
- Aglianico del Vulture, Pipoli, Campania, Italy. £12.99 Italy in a glass! Light, fresh red fruit and hints of violet & cocoa.
- Nero di Troia, Tufarello, Puglia, Italy. £13.99 Blueberry fruit & spice with a touch of sour cherry boosted by dark plums.
- Primitivo, A Mano, Puglia, Italy £11.99 Made by American, Mark Shannon who was practised in Zinfandel, the same grape as Primitivo. Soft, smooth & juicy.
- Trentatre, Angelo Rocca, Puglia, Italy. £10.99 Italian for 33-equal amounts of Cabernet & Merlot - the Bordeaux grapes with Montepulciano for a punchy ripe fruited red.
- Verso Salento Rosso, Puglia, Italy. £13.99 Full bodied blend of Negroamaro & Primitivo using dried grapes for extra sweet intensity.